Friday, July 21, 2006

Momentum.

"The problem," an Irish man said to me yesterday "with having a home studio is having the will power to force yourself to work every day. I used to get up in the morning and, instead of going to work, I'd watch a bit of telly, or go down the shops for a while."

He looked at me cheerily as he said this and I tried not to look guilty. This, so far, pretty much sums up my work ethic for the past three years of my degree. Aside from the TV part, as I don't own one. I do, however, own a well used Buffy DVD box set and a computer.

To be fair, when I say I did no work, that's not essentially true - I did no work on what i was /supposed/ to be doing. I did plenty of other stuff. I organised myself enough to go on tour around the country for 5 months or so (save for a three week break in the middle for my second year exams). I recorded the first album in the middle there somewhere, too, and managed to hold down, at one point, three jobs aside from the music and the degree.

But I am Gormanesque in doing the things I should be doing - I usually find a way of doing everything else possible first. And here comes the tricky part: I've set myself up to do what I want to do - and only what I want to do - for the next year or so. I'm building (well, putting together without touching the actual structure of the house at all, as the landlord probably wouldn't approve) my little home studio in the spare bedroom upstair in my little detached house here in sunny Derbyshire. I've moved to a new county to do this, where I know very few people. This is it.

And that's where the fear kicks in: what if I can't do this? What if I'm not good enough? What if I just. dont. do. it.?

This is where you come in, gentle hypothetical viewer. You are the person I have chosen to share this with: the excitement, the confusion, the inevitable panic. You are also, more importantly, my official driving force. You're going to guilt me into this.

So, I hereby bestow this quest upon your substantial and yet graceful and aesthetically pleasing shoulders, and end this first post with the promise of pictures tomorrow - I'll introduce you to the toys, the machines and my ever expanding family. Until then, take care of yourself, look both ways crossing the road, wear sunscreen [dance, even if it's only in your own living room], eat five or mpore portions of fruit and vegetables per day and get enough sleep.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

aww bless you and your fears. if you can get a first you can do this. i have no plan for the rest of my life so i am very impressed and in awe of you and your life plan. It will all pan out im sure. Nemi will show you the way
if all else fails you'll always have a place on my pirate ship... we need someone to dread the crews' hair to give the ship the proper feel, and i think youre the gal for the job

Lizzy
-x-

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home