Sunday, December 10, 2006

The Challenge: Day Six

So, I began yesterday with a heavy head, believing that I needed to basically rewrite the whole track, and had o idea where to start. After a couple of hours of wrestling in it and changing almost every vocal part in it, I decided that as it was almost an entirely different song, i should at least finish mixing the first version of the song just so I had it as a reference.

I opened the second, partially mixed, file (the first file contains all the original instrumentation separately, the second file contains the original instrumentation mixed together as one track, layered with instrumentation I then added to it and, most importantly, all the takes of the various vocal parts I'd been trying the day before to replace the original chorus).

On hitting play without checking what it was actually set to play (I usually have a variety of tracks playing and the rest muted, to see what's missing and what's necessary. Oddly, it played a combination of two new chorus parts I'd been trying, but not the original. They really worked together, and the whole track sort of fell into place. Awesometastic on a stick. It required about 5 new pieces of instrumentation, and a variety of new vocal parts in the background, and it's going to be a bitch to mix together well today, but man am I happy it's all settled. No more recording to do (except, possibly, one new overdub to replace a vocal in which I have just ignored the key signature), just mixing.

The track was unveiled last night to two friends, both of whom approved, which was a relief. Playing new songs to people has always been nerve wracking for me (though never from stage).

On a less useful note, I think I ran over the cable from my DT100s with my chair yesterday and now the right side intermittently cuts out and crackles. SIGH.

1 Comments:

Blogger Queen Mushroom said...

yay for leni!
hope the headphone thing gets sorted.

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home